读写教程答案 新视野大学英语 4 读写教程答案Unit 1Section AVocabulary III. 1.idle 2. justify 3. discount 4. distinct 5. minute 6.accused 7. object 8. contaminate 9. sustain 10. worship IV. 1. accusing... of 2. end up 3. came upon 4. at her worst 5. pay for 6. run a risk of 7. participate in 8. other than 9. object to 10.at best V. 1. K 2. G 3. C 4. E 5. N 6.0 7.I 8. L 9. A 10. D Collocation VI. 1. delay 2. pain 3. hardship 4. suffering 5. fever 6. defeat 7. poverty 8. treatment 9. noise 10. agony Word building VII. 1. justify 2. glorify 3. exemplifies 4. classified 5. purified 6. intensify 7. identify 8. terrified VIII. 1. bravery 2. jewelry 3. delivery 4. machinery 5. robbery 6. nursery 7. scenery 8. discovery Sentence Structure IX. 1. other than for funerals and weddings 2. other than to live an independent life 3. other than that they appealed to his eye. 4. but other than that, he'll eat just about everything. 5. other than that it's somewhere in the town center X. 1. shouldn't have been to the cinema last night 2. would have told him the answer 3. they needn't have gone at all 4. must have had too much work to do 5. might have been injured seriously Translation
XI. 1. The plant does not grow well in soils other than the one in which it has been developed. 2. Research findings show that we spend about two hours dreaming every night, no matter what we may have done during the day. 3.Some people tend to justify their failure by blaming others for not trying their best. 4.We remain true to our commitment: Whatever we promised to do; we would do it. 5.Even Beethoven's father discounted the possibility that his son would one day become the greatest musician in the world. The same is true of Edison, who seemed to his teacher to be quite dull. 6. They were accused by authorities of threatening the state security. XII. Translate the following sentences into Chinese. 1.出入除自己家以外的任何场所时，如果你带有宠物，一定要了解有关宠物的规定. 出入除自己家以外的任何场所时，如果你带有宠物，一定要了解有关宠物的规定 出入除自己家以外的任何场所时 2.一些女性完全可以不待在家里，而是去工作，挣一份不错的工资。
但是为了家庭， 一些女性完全可以不待在家里 了工作。
3.你怎么为这样粗鲁的行为辩护？你将会为此付出沉重的代价，因为他们己经以低毁名誉的罪 你怎么为这样粗鲁的行为辩护？你将会为此付出沉重的代价， 你怎么为这样粗鲁的行为辩护 名起诉你了。
批评有其重要作用 我们去做更伟大的事情 5.他毫不让步的行为遭到公众的反对，这使得他陷人了精神上崩溃、经济上破产的境地。
他毫不让步的行为遭到公众的反对 6.即使你失败了， 不要被失败伤害， 即使你失败了， 不要被失败伤害， 更不要被失败左右。
记住： 失败是学习过程中必要的一步； 即使你失败了 也 更不要被失败左右。
记住： 失败是学习过程中必要的一 它不是学习、的结束，而是学习的开始。
Close XIII. 1 .B 2.A 3.C 4.D 5. B 6.A 7.B 8.A 9. C 10.A II. D 12.C 13. D 14.A 15. C 16.D 17.B 18.C I9. A 20.DUnit 2Section AComprehension o f the Text 1. He lived a poor and miserable life during his childhood. 2. Because no one in Britain appeared to appreciate his talent for comedy. His comic figures did not conform to British standards. 3. Because his dress and behavior didn't seem that English. 4. It was the first movie in which Chaplin spoke. 5. He used his physical senses to invent his art as he went along without a prepared script. 6. His transformation of lifeless objects into other kinds of objects, plus the skill with which he executed it again and again. 7. She brought stability and happiness to him and became a center of calm in his family. 8. Comic.
Vocabulary III. 1. coarse 2. betrayed 3. incident 4. postponed 5. execute 6. surrounding 7. applause 8. extraordinary 9. clumsy 10. sparked IV. 1. for 2. against 3. up 4. about 5. up 6. to 7. down 8. down 9. in 10. on V. l. I 2.J 3.B 4.D 5.E 6.G 7.F 8.L 9.N 10.A Collocation VI. 1. service 2. help/hand 3. influence 4. guarantee 5. visit 6. span . 7. welcome 8. spirit 9. duties 10. buildings Word Building VII. 1. artist 2. terrorist 3. novelist 4. activists 5. biologists 6. idealist 7. capitalists 8. tourist VIII. 1. terrorism 2. industrialism 3. realism 4. idealism 5. criticism 6. heroism 7. racism 8. Modernism Sentence Structure IX 1. If I had known that you were coming, I would have met you at the airport. 2. If he had tried to leave the country, he would have been stopped at the border. 3. If we had found him earlier, we could have saved his life. 4. If I had caught that plane, I would have been killed in the air crash. 5. If he had been in good health, he could have written many books. X. 1. it is a wonder to find 2. It is a surprise for us to find 3. it is a waste of time to argue with him 4. It's a comfort to know 5. It is a relief for us to learn Translation XI 1. If the characters in this comedy had been more humorous, it would have attracted a larger audience. 2. She has never lost faith in her own ability, so it is a possibility for her to become a successful actress. 3. I never had formal training, I just learned as I went along.
4. As their products find their way into the international market, their brand is gaining in popularity. 5. She could make up a story by saying she was knocked unconscious by thieves and that all her money was gone, but she doubted whether she could make it sound believable. 6. No one was certain whether he postponed the visit on purpose, but this brought more criticism of him. XII. 1.如果没有查理 卓别林，世界电影史就会不一样了。
如果没有查理 卓别林， 2.令人感到宽慰的是，他的努力最终给予了他长期渴望的结果—他成功地发现了这种疾病的原 令人感到宽慰的是，他的努力最终给予了他长期渴望的结果 他成功地发现了这种疾病的原 令人感到宽慰的是 因。
从《流浪汉》到《摩登时代》，他拍 查理·卓别林是最伟大 最广受热爱的电影明星之一。
流浪汉》 摩登时代》， 》，他拍 查理 卓别林是最伟大、 摄了许多他那个时代最有趣、最受欢迎的电影。
他最出名的是他扮演的一个人物 年轻可 摄了许多他那个时代最有趣、最受欢迎的电影。
4.卓别林是一个才能非凡的人：自他 1914 年第一次在电影中出现，两年时间内他就成了这个国 卓别林是一个才能非凡的人： 年第一次在电影中出现， 卓别林是一个才能非凡的人 家最有名的人物之一。
5.查理 卓别林对 20 世纪初期每个人的生活都产生了影响。
与有史以来的任何人相比，他让更 查理·卓别林对 世纪初期每个人的生活都产生了影响。
与有史以来的任何人相比， 查理 多的人欢笑，改变了人们看待这个世界的方式。
6. 1977 年，查理 卓别林在圣诞节那天去世了，身后留下了悲伤的家人和朋友，以及全世界数 查理·卓别林在圣诞节那天去世了 身后留下了悲伤的家人和朋友， 卓别林在圣诞节那天去世了， 以百万计的影迷。
Cloze XIII. 1 .C 2. B 3.C 4.B 5.A 6. C 7. D 8. A 9. D 10. C 11.D 12. A 13.A 14.C 15.B 16. D 17.A 18.C 19. B 20. A Structured Writing XV. Charlie Chaplin is a great comic for his native land Britain, but even more so for the world. On the stage he often wore tiny moustaches, huge pants and tailcoats that were perhaps more characteristic of Europeans and may be not much of the British. Since more than half of the roles Chaplin played were in silent films, people throughout the world had no difficulty understanding his films. With sound movies, Chaplin created a nonsense language that sounded like no known nationality and was accepted and appreciated by people all over the world. For most of his lifetime he did not stay in his mother country; he traveled throughout the world to appear on stage for people of different nationalities.Unit 4
Section AVocabulary III. 1. investment 2. disposal 3. condensed 4. strategic 5. revenue 6. scratch 7. utilities 8. invested 9. nowhere 10. transmission IV. 1. is lagging far behind 2. are stuck with 3. going for 4. remain in contact 5. keep pace with 6. at your disposal 7. dates from 8. scratched the surface of 9. stuck in 10. choose between V. 1.L 2.N 3.D 4.E 5.H 6.1 7.F 8.0 9.1 10.B Collocation VI. 1. exchange 2. growth 3. opportunities 4. understanding 5. benefits 6. peace 7. development 8. career 9. will 10. status Word Building VII. 1. superpower 2. superabundant 3. supermarket 4. super-speed 5. supercomputer 6. superman 7. superstar 8. super-efficient VIII. 1. auto-timer 2. auto-focus 3. autograph 4. auto-reverse 5. autobiography 6. automakers 7. autoloading 8. autocriticism Sentence Structure IX 1. Concentrate on indoor delights rather than outdoor fights and you'll be much better appreciated. 2. As a result of the development of computer technology many people may eventually be able to work at home rather than go to the office. 3. Some people say that the pupils' achievements this term will be measured by a formal test rather than their teacher's assessment. 4. They argued that their products should be developed on the basis of need rather than profit. 5. During weekends the businessmen may spend time establishing friendship and mutual trust rather than discussing any particular item of business. X. 1. Petrol now is twice as expensive as it was a few years ago. 2. Theirs is about three times as big as ours. 3. Latin American customers talk two to four times as long on the phone as people in North America. 4. the fee for cell phones is typically twice as much as for calls made over fixed lines 5. can transmit 250,000 times as much data as a standard telephone wire
Translation XI. 1. Rather than invest in my education, my parents spent their money on a new house. 2. Today, people are spending twice as much on entertainment and relaxation as they did in the past. 3. In order to be successful, a business must keep pace with developments in the marketplace. 4. Her fluency in English gave her an advantage over other girls for the job. 5. For students, nowhere is better than the library, where all the books are at their disposal. 6. We should make full use of the platform to strengthen communication, expand cooperation in more areas and seek further development through joint efforts. XII. 1.发展中国家认为信息技术是促进经济发展的途径， 发展中国家认为信息技术是促进经济发展的途径， 发展中国家认为信息技术是促进经济发展的途径 但一些国家在估算成本与选择技术方面缺乏 经验。
据说地球拥有的地下水量大约是其拥有的河流和湖泊水量的三千倍 3.任何人都能照出好照片 问题只是你是否在合适的时间和地点。
任何人都能照出好照片—问题只是你是否在合适的时间和地点 任何人都能照出好照片 问题只是你是否在合适的时间和地点。
通过在他们的学校和图书馆安装计算机 5.当他开始创办这家公司时， 当他开始创办这家公司时， 可是他现在失望了， 当他开始创办这家公司时 他想他将能在市场上与那些顶级公司并驾齐驱， 他想他将能在市场上与那些顶级公司并驾齐驱， 可是他现在失望了， 因为他没有成功 因为他没有成功。
6.佛罗里达的一对夫妇在建造一座他们称之为未来之家的房子， 佛罗里达的一对夫妇在建造一座他们称之为未来之家的房子， 又与周围环境 佛罗里达的一对夫妇在建造一座他们称之为未来之家的房子 它既能抵御咫风， 它既能抵御咫风， 十分协调。
Cloze XIII. 1 ．C 2. D 3. A 4. B 5. B 6. C 7. D 8. B 9. C 10. D 11．A 12.C 13.B 14.D 15.C 16.D 17.B 18.A 19.C 20.C ． Structured Writing XV. Compare the new welfare system with the old one and you would find a world of difference between the two. Under the new welfare system, the law encourages welfare clients to work on their own for a gradual shift away from welfare, and this is not the case in the past. Welfare clients now can develop their talents to make money. In the past, they often cheated to bleed the system for a few extra dollars.Now caseworkers will gladly help their clients find appropriate jobs rather than act like detectives to try to seek out any unreported properties. Today many welfare clients have made a choice to live a life of complete honesty and they tell the truth to caseworkers and declare any extra income they make.In cases like this, caseworkers will feel greatly relieved because they don't need to search for any cheating as in the past.Unit 5
Section AComprehension of the Text I. 1. Because 22 million people live alone, which suggests that it is an overwhelming phenomenon in the United States. 2. Because they can find inspiration in solitude. 3. The more positive one is toward oneself, the less the need for staying with others. 4. It depends. If they live with their friends, the friends' temporary leaving will be received as a welcome change. However, if they live alone, the temporary absence of friends may leave them with a feeling of emptiness. 5. Because the need to talk is the most basic need of a solitary person. 6. They may call friends to tell them important things, or talk to themselves, their pets, the television,or even to strangers. 7. To stay rational, settle down in a comfortable way and find pleasure from the current life,. wait for anything happy that may happen. 8. The writer thinks that as ordinary people's solitary life differs from that of great minds (like poets and philosophers), they should cherish the thought that "since we are here, we may as well accept it and make the best of it". Vocabulary III. 1. humble 2. slippery 3. tame 4. inspiration 5. crept 6. apology 7. observation 8. dictate 9. inadequate 10. solitary IV 1. cast out 2. all by himself 3. stay up late 4. was fond of 5. at one sitting 6. filled up with 7. speaks highly of 8. set forth 9. at length 10. for the time being V. 1.K 2.H 3.M 4.B 5.A 6.0 7.J 8.D 9.F 10.1 Collocation VI. 1. efficiency 2. status 3. performance 4. standard 5. coordination 6. sense 7. career 8. quality 9. supply 10. accuracy Word Building VIl. 1. underestimated 2. underpaid 3. overslept 4. Underdeveloped 5. overestimated 6. overcharged 7. underweight 8. overloaded VIll. 1. simplified 2. electrician 3. recovery 4. childlike 5. autobiography 6. underline 7. terrorist 8. overreact Sentence Structure IX.
1. The distance between them is not so great as to be unbridgeable. 2. The unity of the masses with the party is never so strong as it is now. 3. The punishment was harsh because Maggie would lose her position, but it was not so bad as losing her pay. 4. I've heard the terrible noise once or twice before, but never so loud as this one. 5. Men are never so peaceful, so graceful with each other as they are now. X. 1. You might as well go there to see whether there is the information you need. 2. We might as well call it freedom. 3.You might as well ring and tell them you're going to visit them. 4. We might as well walk home. 5. We might as well find an easier one to read. Translation XI. 1. This little man is not so innocent as he appears. 2. There's nothing I can do about the problem, so you might as well turn to Professor Wang for help. 3. Both sides speak highly of the fruits in their cooperation in different areas, and hope that the cooperation can be furthered. 4. On the one hand, an image of being close to the people can get a new policy more easily accepted.On the other hand, it will "encourage people to speak their minds and come up with constructive suggestions". 5. His sense of loneliness rose and fell and he sometimes would talk at length to himself and his pets and the television. 6. After all, money is not everything. The richest people are not necessarily the happiest. XII 1.新的机制并不像他们预期的那样有效，因为数月过去了，但管理效率并没有明显改进。
我不想不必要地吓唬你 3.孤独的特点是一种与世隔绝感，而独居则是独自一人却不感到寂寞的状态，它能引发自我 孤独的特点是一种与世隔绝感，而独居则是独自一人却不感到寂寞的状态， 孤独的特点是一种与世隔绝感 意识。
你可能与别人在一起仍然感到孤独 孤独是一种消极的状态 这也许是孤独最痛苦的形式。
独居是值得向往的，是独自一人、 独居是一种与自我相约的积极的状态 充实的陪伴的一种状态。
梭罗说 Cloze XIII. 1.B 2.D 3.A 4.B 5．C 6.C 7．D 8．D 9. B 10. A ． ． ． 11.C 12. B 13．A 14.C 15.D 16.B 17.C 18.A 19.D 20.C ． Structured Writing
XV. Some people prefer to live alone whereas some others have to live alone for one reason or another.Those people believing in inspirational solitude argue that no companion is more companionable than solitude. Literary giants such as William Wordsworth, John Milton and Henry Thoreau enjoyed living alone on purpose. Hunters or explorers enjoy themselves as they venture out to tame the great wild areas. On the other hand, there are some other people who have to live alone due to various reasons: being divorced, widowed or never married. Many of them feel bitter to live in solitude. They have no one to talk to and as a result they talk at length to themselves and to their pets and to the television.Unit 8Section AComprehension o f the text I. 1. They hid behind their curtains and peered at the travelers cautiously. 2. It means that the small town was a stage where the different travelers who passed by were actors revealing themselves to the audience-the villagers. 3. Probably there were different ways of greetings between them, so there might be some misunderstandings or inappropriate responses. 4. Because she wanted to sing and dance so much that she thought the money was given as a discouragement rather than an encouragement. 5. When she left her hometown of Eatonville for Jacksonville at thirteen, she experienced a huge change and she was aware that she was black. 6. It means that she was not emotionally disturbed by the fact that she was a descendent of slaves. She felt good about herself. 7. The writer compared herself to a brown bag of mixed items propped up against a wall with other bags. 8. As is described, the contents revealed are nothing but common objects. It suggests that for ordinary people, no matter whether they are white or black, they share something in common. Vocabulary III. 1. cautiously 2. bribing 3. disapprove(d) 4. tendency 5. permanent 6. depression 7. fragrance 8. guarantee 9. exclusively 10. generously IV. .
1. peering at 2. be broken off 3. disapproved of 4. prop up 5. In the main 6. in company with 7. in that 8. pay the price 9. belong to 10. more or less V 1. L 2. O 3. H 4. D 5. I 6. E 7. N 8. K 9. G 10. B Collocation VI. 1. plans 2. lifestyle 3. fact 4. policies 5. rules 6. concentration 7. world 8. voice 9. inheritance 10. content Word Building VII. 1. dued 2. demobilized 3. deregulated 4. decentralized 5. destabilizing 6. depersonalized 7. de-emphasize 8. decoded VIII. 1. retirees 2. interviewees 3. trainee 4. employees 5. escapees 6. addressee 7. devotee 8. divorcee Sentence Structure IX 1. I know she isn't really interested in window-shopping, but she doesn't mind waiting while I have a look. 2. If people don't mind my not having a degree, I could give a few music lessons! 3. People don't mind paying a lot more for good software because they can see the benefits of using it. 4.1 don't mind if people perceive me as arrogant. You need certain degree of it to succeed. 5. We don't mind if it takes time for people to express their hopes, goals, fears, and needs in their lives. X. 1. No friends came to see her; she shut herself off, in the old familiar world of bedroom and drawing room. 2. No cigarette end could give us any clue to or sign of anyone having ever been there.
3. No gas, no water and no electricity in the hospital! How could you expect the children to survive this? 4. No other information is given about the book itself, although there is a brief biographical, note about the writer. 5. No effort has been made to investigate the "disappearances" that have occurred over the past three years. Translation XI. 1. 1 don't mind his staying out so late as long as he behaves himself. 2. 1 prefer his plan to others in that I think no plan is more practical than his. 3. They broke off business relations with that company as it suffered huge losses in the last fiscal year and went bankrupt. 4. Now that you don't like him, why did you invite him to your birthday party in the first place? 5. Though we knew our chances to win were slim, we were more or less depressed when we lost in the game. 6. Perhaps this was the price that has to be paid for progress-who knows? XII. 1.我不在乎他们否定我的计划，但在内心深处我仍渴望得到他们的支持。
他们只是顺便又提到了这一点 6.即使当父母强烈反对子女的行为方式时，他们拒绝接受的是那种行为方式而不是子女本人，澄 即使当父母强烈反对子女的行为方式时，他们拒绝接受的是那种行为方式而不是子女本人， 即使当父母强烈反对子女的行为方式时 清这一点十分重要。
Cloze XIII. 1.B 2.C 3．B 4. D 5.A 6. D 7.A 8.B 9.B 10.C ． 11.A 12.B 13.A 14.B 15.B 16.D 17.C 18.D 19.D 20.A Structured Writing XV
Small in size and light in weight, electronic dictionaries are convenient to use．They are ． easy to carry and students can take them anywhere they go. Whenever they come across a new word in reading, they can find out its meaning wi the help of an electronic dictionary. An electronic dictionary usually contains the information of several paper dictionaries．When students have one such dictionary, they actually have more than ． one dictionary in hand．Meanwhile，electronic dictionaries are time-saving. They save ． ， students from turning pages over to find the word．Instead, they only need to key in the ． word and the meaning will appear on the screen. Considering all the above factors，no ， wonder more and more students are using electronic dictionaries nowadays